Twitter

Snapshots of Life;

Friday, 23 November 2012

RIP Wen Wen

A`s have been partially over, left with 2 more MCQ papers and I'll be done with it so I've finally got the time to blog! ^^ I really don't know if it's me, or this years' papers are really much tougher. But it's over and I should not worry about it anymore.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"  Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

But today's gonna be a sad post with a little ranting. It's about this Indo-pacific bottlenose dolphin that's exported from Philippines into Singapore's Resort World Sand (RWS).  So, RWS claims that importing these dolphins are for educational purposes (I'm definitely not making this up)

"We'll have a shark dive experience, a ray feeding experience and as well as an educational interaction with indo-pacific bottle nose dolphins but on top of that we'll be showing a theatrical extravaganza at our Festive Grand Theatre," said Edward Goh, senior vice president of Group Sales and Marketing at Resorts World Sentosa. - Source: CNA Online

But is there really a need for this? Really questioning the intent of importing these dolphins. Dolphins are meant to be kept wild. They really shouldn't be captured, even for "educational purposes". I'm really disappointed with what RWS is doing. It's not like they've not been told to not import dolphins. A few organisations have tried to stop they, but to no avail. 





This cute dolphin here DIED. Wen Wen was only 10 years old and the average lifespan of such dolphins are 40 to 50 years old. And this wouldn't have happened if RWS did not insist of importing dolphins. It's said that Wen Wen was a sociable dolphin that survived a shark attack in the wild. This shows that it has a higher chance of survival if left in the wild. Why RWS, why...

Source: http://daniellimsketch.tumblr.com/image/36283745217


And that is not all. Two other dolphins had already died of bacterial infection in a holding area in Langkawi, Malaysia in 2010. How many innocent lives must be taken away before people realise that keeping dolphins in captive is bad? All these for "educational purposes"? I'm sure that there are other ways to do so without harming these innocent creatures right? 

And to some of you out there who are wondering, why am I putting educational purposes in quotation marks, it's because I'm doubting the intent of bringing such dolphins in. Not saying that I'm 100% correct though. 

Why bring in dolphins? -> They are cute and funny and smart animals -> They attract more visitors into RWS -> To earn more profits. 

I guess I'm not wrong by saying this right? If it's really educational purposes, this could be left to the Dolphin Lagoon in Sentosa which have been there for such a long time. Is there really a need for another 'dolphin park'? 

I'm so gonna boycott Marine Life Park even if nobody else does it but I really hope that sooner or later, everybody will boycott such attractions so that they'll stop bringing wildlife in and hurting them. 

Gonna end this post with cute pictures of dolphins. Everybody, just see how happy/glamourous dolphins are in the wild. That's where they're really supposed to be. 





No comments:

Post a Comment